If you’ve followed me at the New Times (and I hope you do!), I’ve espoused countless times about the unique climate that us South Floridians have in the craft beer community. We are practically the only sub tropical region in the United States, and I find a lot of things that other people do who homebrew in the north do not make any sense for me. I have no basement or natural cool area to ferment. I have warm tap water. Humidity is high all the time. The environment is not favorable to producing ales without quite a bit of work.
On the other hand, that has led me into the realm of the saison, and yeasts that can (and enjoy) fermenting wort at temperatures approaching 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
I decided to remake a saison that, when I previously brewed, became a crowd pleaser. It will end up being the first original recipe that I will have done a second batch on. There were many things right on it, and only a few issues that I feel confident can be corrected.
In the inaugural brewing, I mashed in with a higher temperature leaving quite a bit of the sugars unfermentable, thusly producing a wort that fermented out with a high FG for the style.
A a bonus, for this batch, I will be setting aside a gallon of the post-fermentation beer and add in sour beer dregs in an attempt to add a bit of tartness. That will be something to check up on in a few months.
Efficiency: 75.0 % Batch size: 5.5 gal
|11.0 lb||84 %||1 °L|
|1.0 lb||7 %||2 °L|
|1.0 lb||7 %||4 °L|
Boil time: 60 min
|Golding (US)||0.8 oz||60 min|
|Williamette (US)||0.2 oz||60 min|
|Golding (US)||1.2 oz||10 min|
|Williamette (US)||1.8 oz||10 min|
|Belgian Saison Yeast||Wyeast 3724|
Mash low at 149 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour. Batch sparge to desired OG and pH. Do first wort hopping of the Golding/Williamette hops. Boil for 60 minutes. Add final aroma hops and irish moss about 10 minutes before flameout. Cool to pitching temperatures.
Transfer to fermenting container when wort hits 75 degrees. Pitch the yeast. Let sit and warm up to ambient Florida temps, around 78 degrees.
Leave for around 10 days or when a hydrometer indicates activity has stopped over at least a couple of days. Cold crash for 24 hours.
Transfer to keg or, if you hate yourself, to a bottling bucket with priming sugar and bottle. If kegging, carb at 30 psi for 24 hours, then bleed off air and reduce to 20 psi for another 24 hours, then bleed off and set at 5 psi or so for serving. Ta-da, nice and easy. If bottling, rethink your priorities and wait about two week for it to carbonate.